We'd like to thank everyone for their support over the first four days of the Inquiry - the responses from the community on Tuesday 1st August were well- informed, personal, powerful and spoke volumes for themselves. The Inspector has allowed speakers to send in copies of their speeches as well.
The final day will be on Monday 11 September, a virtual session where the closing statements will be made by all of the parties, plus a few loose ends being tied up. After that- the Inspector will reach his decision- in 2018, this came around 6 weeks after the last day of the Inquiry.
We hope you find the following information helpful.:
1. The media coverage has been amazing, reaching to national and even American news and to TV. You can see some of these reports below.
2. It's possible to watch the Inquiry in progress retrospectively, on Hounslow Council's Youtube site, day by day from 1-4 August here.
3. The Isleworth Society was represented by two barristers, who provided considerable support, knowledge and encouragement.
4. The two sessions where members of the Isleworth Society were centre stage themselves were on Wednesday morning during the 'Heritage' discussion. Our 'expert witness', Mike Spence who had modelled and photographed the proposed development, appeared virtually and spoke admirably about the impact on the area of the proposed development of 80 residences. The second session was on the Friday morning, where the Isleworth Society case was put under the spotlight and questioned by the barrister from Northumberland Estates. The society is also involved in formulating written questions on Ecology, which will be featured between now and September.
5. The Inspector made two site visits to the area, including a walk down Park Road, where the beautiful mature trees, which would be removed if the NE Plans were approved, were clearly marked.
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!
Landscape Architect projection of the view down Park Road, commissioned by TIS
Projected drone footage looking over Isleworth commissioned by TIS
Site address: Park Road Allotments Isleworth
The Isleworth Society remains committed to saving this vital piece of green open space which is not only an ACV (Asset of Community Value) but an important site of biodiversity. This is the FOURTH time we have faced a battle to save this beautiful three-acre site from development, but the fight continues, and all support is appreciated.
The Northumberland Estates appealed to the Secretary of State against the October 2021 decision of the London Borough of Hounslow to refuse
URGENT: Update April 2023
Appeal Reference: APP/F5540/W/22/3297232
Site address: Park Road Allotments Isleworth
Description of development: Erection of 80 residential dwellings, concierge building, car and cycle parking, landscaping and associated works; and infrastructure and other structures associated with allotment use.
The Planning Inspectorate was conducting this appeal by a Written Representations procedure with a very short response timetable. However, we heard on 6 April that they have decided to change this procedure to a Full Public inquiry.
The new timetable will be posted here once it is available
We are grateful to the Park Road Allotments' Association and other local residents for the photos.
Ruth Cadbury, MP for Brentford & Isleworth, recently met with allotment holders at the Park Road site in Isleworth to support their campaign to protect their oasis from being closed down by the Duke of Northumberland Estate.
During her visit with local councillor Salman Shaheen, Ruth heard from local plot holders about the human and wildlife benefits the allotments have brought for over 100 years. Ruth also heard about ‘the huge uncertainty and distress plot holders have experienced because of the ongoing threat of closure’.
Press Coverage of the Original Appeal
Daily Mail - 6th May
Evening Standard - 5th May
Northumberland Gazette - 28th April
Evening Standard - 22nd April
Press Coverage of the Planning Refusal
Previous Press Coverage
The story of the campaign to preserve Park Road Allotment Gardens has featured in:
iNews 24th Sept
Daily Express 29th July
New Statesman 9th July
London Economic 30th June
Brentford TW8 25th June
The I 3rd June
BBC News 2nd June
Harefield Gazette 2nd June
Chiswick Herald 28th May
Hounslow Herald 27th May
Youtube: 26th May
TW8 25th May
My London 24th May
The Daily Telegraph 30 April
The Estates Gazette 30 April
The Evening Standard 29 April
And on 15 March 2021, 13 year old Neha’s story won the England (London) category in the BBC Young Reporter Competition. Hear from Neha here
On 14th October 2021 Hounslow’s Planning Committee refused the application from Northumberland Estates to redevelop the Park Road Allotments site. The Isleworth Society is proud to have been a part of the campaign to protect this local green space. It thanks the very many local residents and groups, as well as the regional and national organisations, who took the time to object to the Application.
If you agree it is WRONG to:
then please help oppose a planning application which, if approved, will do just this.
The relevant Planning Application (P/2020/4292) can be viewed here - copy the ref before you follow this link so you can paste it into the search facility of the planning portal.
Don't delay. Act today.
Comments will be accepted by Hounslow Council up until a decision is made probably at a Planning Committee meeting in October (see above).
Sign up here to keep in touch about the site.
While you’re here, check out more about the site:
Need to contact us? email us at: email@example.com
Copyright © 2023 The Isleworth Society - All Rights Reserved.